Menstruation and trans

All that bleed are not women! In this article, we have collected some useful information about being trans and having a period. 

Image: non binary trans person sitting on a park bench

Gender identity and pronouns

Trans guys and non-binary transpeople can also menstruate. In order to menstruate you need to have a uterus, but being born with a uterus doesn't necessarily make you a woman. Only you can determine which gender to identify as. If one identifies as a guy that's who you are even though still having a uterus and menstruating. Since menstruation is associated with being a woman many menstruating men and non-binary people prefer to use other words that suit them better. It can be something gender neutral, like bleedings. Sometime you talk about menstruaters, people regardless of gender who menstruate. In this text we will still use the word menstruation since it is well known to most people.

"It seems harder for people around me to take my gender identity serious when i show physical signs of bein a 'bialogical woman'."

Freddie, 22 year old who identifies as non binary

To menstruate - or not

Some transpersons that menstruate want to stop it. The bleedings may enhance certain negative emotions and the need to change one’s body to feel better. In that case, the time around the menstruation can be particularly difficult. It can be emotionally hard just to menstruate, no matter your gender or sex. As a non-binary trans-person or guy, it can be even harder, as menstruation may be a reminder that parts of one's body do not feel right.

Image: Red photo of a persons upper body in a white t-shirt

Gender affirmation treatment

For some trans people that need to not menstruate, and maybe need to correct other parts of the body as well, seeking gender affirmation treatment can be the way to go. But not all trans people need that kind of healthcare. For many, the menstruation is not difficult in that way. It can be difficult for other reasons but without causing the need to get rid of it completely. A good gynecologist or endocrinologist can often help you to find a suitable treatment, such as hormone pills or intrauterine coils.