Your right to health care

If your problems with menstruation pain are severe and you feel poorly before, during or after bleedings you can seek medical advice! You are not supposed to suffer in silence. Here are some things that are good to know when you seek healthcare.

Healthcare guarantee

You have the right to decide which facility or healthcare center to go to. The day you seek medical attention, you should get in touch with a healthcare facility or with the healthcare consulting. After this first contact you should not have to wait any more than 7 days before seeing a doctor. If you need to see a specialist, a doctor dedicated to only your issues, it can take up to 90 days. This is called the "healthcare guarantee". A specialist can e.g. be either a gynecologist or a psychiatrist. In some parts of Sweden, there are healthcare guarantees that are shorter than 90 days. You can also consult with the youth reception or the school nurse. They can help you to where you need to go.

Right to understand

As a patient you have the right to get information about the treatment and healthcare available for you. You are also in the right to receive information so that you can fully understand it. You can always ask the nurse/doctor to explain again if you don't understand the first time.


hose working in the healthcare system have patient - caregiver confidentiality. That is the ground rule. They can't tell anybody else about your treatment, your visit or what you have been talking about. Also, those working at the pharmacy have full confidentiality. However, if you are under 18 years old your parents (or another legal guardian) have the right to know about your treatment. If you don't want them to know, you can tell the staff treating you. At times you can decide that nobody can know about your condition or treatment, even if you are under 18 years old.

Remember! Those working at youth receptions can only tell others about your visit if you have given permission or if your health is at risk.

Image: close up of two women talking


If you don't understand Swedish, you have the right to an interpreter when discussing with a doctor or others working within the healthcare system. It's the law. It also applies if you speak sign language. When talking to those working within the healthcare system, such as hospitals, healthcare clinics or youth receptions, you should let them know that you want an interpreter. They can provide you with one. Interpreters are also working under confidentiality. They cannot tell anybody about your conditions or treatment.

Stand up for yourself!

The healthcare system doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. If you are not being listened to and don’t get the help you are entitled to, you can ask an adult close to you for help who is more experienced in dealing with healthcare. It could be a parent, teacher, friend or someone from the student welfare. If you have to wait longer than the healthcare guarantee you may have to call or write again. Simply nag. Remind them that you are in your right and tell them how long you have been waiting. You can also contact the IVO  (Patientnämnden) to file a complaint. It free to contact the patient board.